Home

Monday, August 06, 2012

The post-its are everywhere.


Ever since I was a kid who unlocked the house door after school, feeling very uppity and responsible for being entrusted the keys, and ate her solitary tiffin while staring at the TV,  my dad would leave me post its, the scheduled SMSes of the past, on the dabbas in the kitchen. ”Eat me” “Keep me in fridge” “Boil me”. These would eventually all be stuck in a patchwork pattern on the fridge.

Now my dad leaves me post-its on a pile of washed laundry after I tell him to quit bugging me to put it away. “Put me in the cupboard” my blue formal shirt impatiently proclaims. The post-it stays on my table for a month, for when the blue shirt returns to it after 2 more washes.

Dad wanders through the house at night whenever a wave of insomnia hits. He walks into my room and lowers the fan speed as I snore obliviously. I usually wake up an hour later, drenched with sweat, and undo his handiwork. The next day he tries to repeat the process but is halted by a post-it stuck over the fan regulator. "Touch this and die" it says in angry red sketch pen.

The doodhwala speaks to us through post-its. We say “No milk for the next week”; he replies with an “Ok.” “2L tomorrow” "1.5L tomorrow" “Need to discuss bill this weekend” All these accumulate on the fridge. Now we just grab the appropriate note off the fridge and paste it outside for the milk guy.

The day we discard our beautiful phones and tablets and regress to communication through post-its alone is the day we shall all find true happiness.


9 comments:

K N said...

like those handwritten letters, post-its are here to stay / don't worry

Banno said...

Love the idea. A life picture through post-its.

krack said...

Love leaving instructions for self and stick them to the wrist, unmindful of colleagues' giggle. Very well written post.

Punvati said...

@KN- post-its are on the endangered list only ya.

@Banno- Are other households not like this? Serious question.

@Krack- Stick it on your wrist? Why not just write it on your wrist? And thanks :)

JD said...

The last line of this post is the truest story I've heard in a while.

JD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
revelsign said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
revelsign said...

i know one other excellent purpose post-its serve other than being colorful tools in silent, passive aggressive wars! i keep some and a pair of scissors handy for just such an occasion. ;)

also, you may laugh, but i have decided to start blogging again. i already know what you're going to say, but you can just shut it.

ps: your word verification is f-ing hard, divs. here's hoping third time's the charm.

kerala flowerplaza said...

Excellent write-up…
keralaflowerplaza.com