Home

Saturday, January 21, 2012

So.Much.Maggi.


Years of experience with Bombay locals have taught me that every journey is a battle, to be handled with fortitude, confidence and absolute disregard for peoples toes. Your elbows are your best friends and your trailing dupatta your worst enemy.

Today my usual train arrived just as I ran breathlessly on to the platform. Equipped with knowledge garnered after 6 years of train travel, I took careful aim and rapidly catapulted myself into a compartment before the train could stop fully and twirled gracefully to execute a perfect landing near the opposite door, where I leaned comfortably, turning to face everyone else. In my head, I gave a little curtsy to what I was sure was my dumbstruck audience, which would largely consist of ladies scrambling frantically to get in.

The compartment had 4 ladies in it. 3 more got on after me. 6 eyebrows raised themselves at me. That was my cue to sit in a corner next to one lightly snoring girl and sink deep into my oversize sweater.

**

Yesterday I saw a very paavam looking 3 legged dog. It seemed sad. I bought some biscuits and gave it two. It ate gratefully and looked at me. I gave it some more. It came up to me, licked my leg, let me pat its head and went back to eating. It was like a thank-you. Heart broke only. 

I want a dog. Gimme.

**

For the past few days I've been waking up thinking I'm still in hostel. Biting winters, drafty corridors, all that maggi. The different songs playing in each room all mingling to form a pleasant white noise. The unbelievably shrill laughter from a room down the hall. 5 girls in a messy room, talking about giraffes.

This is my happy place.

6 comments:

Sindhu Shankar said...

:( I want to borrow your kettle and make maggi.

Lexie said...

"Years of experience with Bombay locals have taught me that every journey is a battle, to be handled with fortitude, confidence and absolute disregard for peoples toes. Your elbows are your best friends and your trailing dupatta your worst enemy."

I like that a lot. It's a good way to look at life.

Mind In A Mesh said...

ahhh good ol' hostel days... scurrying into our beds as soon as the nun would come knocking on our doors when it got past bedtime (which was... 9.00 p.m.!?). The hushed giggles. The hushed midnight birthday celebrations.

I love your style of writing. Will be dropping by here more often.

Punvati said...

@Sindhu- Come off to Bombay da :(

@Lexie- If one were to disregard peoples toes all the time, I imagine they'd look like a rampant horse :D

@MiaM- Where did you study!? This sounds straight out of a Mallory Towers type book. And thanks :)

Srikeit said...

I have a month left in my hostel. I am eating maggi now. I know I will miss this :/

Anonymous said...

lets go to hans :)

you get an outpass for me also, i forgot to pick mine up.