Home

Friday, November 05, 2010

Yet another predictable Diwali post.

It's Diwali. And I don't really care. I've never been a festival person. I'm not one to either attend or enjoy pujas. I don't burst crackers. I only wear the perfunctory new item of clothing because it makes my mom happy.

I step out into the corridor of my hostel. It's dark because everyone's left. Gone to burst crackers, have fancy dinners, compare pretty shimmery Indian outfits. A very tiny diya burns all alone outside my neighbour's room. It's pretty. Makes me smile.

I go for my evening run and come back after an hour. The hostel lights are all off. The only light comes from the lit diyas now adorning the entrance of the hostel. And the little candles on each step right up to the second floor. And the small lamps on the corridor, now outside every other door.

I don't like crackers, they make me cough. I don't like the pujas, I think they're pointless. I don't like the glaring lights hung up everywhere, they blind me. The way this festival makes a silent empty building glow oh-so-prettily is Diwali for me. As it turns, out I do care.

Happy Diwali everyone.

9 comments:

relativelytruthful said...

if i didnt like my 'shimmery indian outfit' so much, i would say 'yes.' here. :)

The New Age Superhero said...

now these are the divya ramesh posts that i simply simply love! :D

Tamanna said...

What a pretty post! Happy diwali, girl!

Anonymous said...

Just randomly surfing and came across your blog...liked it lots :) Thanks for the fun (pun?) read!

~lakesidey

Karthik Sivaramakrishnan said...

Less predictable than most blogs. It was only predictable in as much as you wished happy Diwali.

I find Diwali too busy for my comfort. Too much noise, too much sound, too much bling, and too much sugar.

Too much grouchiness? :)

Punvati said...

My thoughts exactly. I'm perfectly happy being a Diwali Scrooge :P

Karthik Sivaramakrishnan said...

Ah, pithy phrase that! 'Diwali scrooge' :)

dimitris said...

τζακια

Tasting grey.... said...

Wow you're good ! Just my emotions about diwali..