Home

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Yes, no?

In chemistry we used to keep learning about some reaction called attack of the nucleophiles. Not only did I fail to understand the concept, but I always invariably conjured up War of the Worlds images whenever I heard about it. Just look at the phrase “attack of the nucleophiles” and tell me you don’t imagine vile green creatures in phallic spaceships attacking the empire state building with laser weapons. If you don't, I'd advise you to do so. Keeps life interesting. Wouldn't go so far as to say it kept chemistry class interesting but I did get encouraged to refrain from jumping up and jamming my blue ball point pen up the teachers nose. No offense to the teacher. Or blue ball point pens.

A few weeks ago, I opened my umbrella and held it up against the sun. It tilted, just a little bit. I paid no heed to it. It squeaked softly. I twirled it merrily and continued on my way. I paused to talk to someone, holding it in front of me, to shade us both. It creaked. And then it cracked. It suddenly broke into two and fell down. Then I was left holding a broken metal stick with a plastic handle and a red and white candy striped umbrella head with a three inch handle and looking absolutely stunned. In such circumstances, you improvise. You stick the striped umbrella part outside your door to provide an amusing, yet aesthetic showpiece. You propose making it into a hat. You make unsuspecting passers-by dance with it. The perks of being slightly less than sensible.

The first time I saw Robert Sean Leonard on screen, he was the super cute guy in Dead Poet’s society who killed himself because he was adamant on not going to medical school. Now, he’s acting in House. Still looks the same, very cute albeit perpetually a tad sheepish. He’s playing a dedicated oncologist. Irony. Delightful.

Yesterday I saw a Youtube clip of some band who said that they are inspired by shiny things. Whether or not I like their music, I profess undying love for them just for saying that. Speaking of shiny things, I saw an ad for a bling argyle dress yesterday. Extreme hotness. I have an unhealthy fascination for argyle. Anyone who gives me a bling argyle dress shall be duly rewarded. That also goes for anyone who rescues me from the horror of working an eight hours shift for six days a week. SIX! Weekends, be mine once again! I shall honour and cherish you forevermore, I promise.

Those who ought to have remembered my 21st birthday and didn't wish me, may there be flustered pigeons flapping around your head wherever you go. Bye then.

16 comments:

Nigel said...

How would you like to be rescued? White horse and black "shiny" armour?

Spaz Kumari said...

BLING argyle, woman?! you blaspheme! what next, Tweed Thongs? Grrr...

also, "I did get encouraged to refrain from jumping up and jamming my blue ball point pen up the teachers nose. No offense to the teacher. Or blue ball point pens."

I'm sorry, what? You made a habit of jamming your pen into your chemistry professor's nose? Why have i never heard of this before?!

Divya said...

@Nigel- As opposed to matte armour? All depends on the skin tone my friend :P

@Spaz- The dress was HAWT. Ill show you the picture. Tweed things... umm ouch.

I refrained from doing that, as great as the urge was. Read!

Bedazzled said...

No.. definately no bling !.. argyle,maybe !
yes..nucleophiles sound like an alien sliny green thingiees..
And hey belated happy bday .. I was wondering why the pigeon shat on me today !! .. have a fab year.. stay crazy !

Divya said...

@Bedazzled- Thanks a ton :D And there's no way you could have known when my birthday was so see if there's something you forgot for real :P

@All- The Bling argyle dress was just fab. Trust me.

raghu said...

arrey in as good as it gets cuddy is there with taub in one scene. she has very untidy curly hair also.. i saw house before dead poets society, so well :P

but erm.. u know borat n bruno guy? sacha cohen.. he is there in sweeney todd, that depp musical.. he has a normal role in the movie :P

also peter parker guy is there in a scene in fear n loathin in la.. he has such a funny hair style n hes all hitch hikin n all.. i mean hes such a nice nice guy.. so seein him waitin to hitch hike was so funny :P

ramsub said...

@ spaz, the dress was awesome, I pointed it out to her without realizing it was argyle...

St.Banger said...

for some odd reason i did imagine star trek when attack of nucleophiles was mentioned.. and i had to read the word 3 times so i could pronounce it

umbrella incident had been mentioned on this blog before

i did wish you on your bday and yet pigeons were flapping over my head today afternoon... curse you too

kunalk said...

Nay Nay Nay!! May those pigeons be shiny then and so will I too have a story to write....

Jil Jil Ramamani said...

Dude Dibba!! Where in the world did you find tweed thongs in Bangalore?? Female Borat thou art.

@ Divi -
1. Nucleophiles for some reason gives me an image of sperms in armour operating nuclear weapons;
2. Leonard = Ch.B ;
3. I loweth argyle sweaters;

Deeps said...

It was b'day?? Belated wishes to you :)

Sorcerer said...

liked the funny writeup..
well... so broken umbrella has uses too..thats new thing.

Divya said...

@Deeps- Thanks :)

@Sorcerer- Who knew :P

sulagna said...

nucleo..p..ph..illess...wat??

girlll...this stuff here is neat!! absolutely loved it,especially CIRCA 2009..touching i say!

Divya said...

@Sulagna- Much thanks :)

sehar said...

one, two
buckle my shoe.
(interpret)