Home

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Nonsense-aaya namaha

Once upon a time, when I was very small, very round, and very naïve (now I am not small, in any sense of the word. Therein lies the difference), I used to often go with my mom to her colleagues house. The grown ups would sit and discuss work, places they bought their saris from and fancy recipes, while the kids would be packed off to play together. One particular colleague had a son who I played cricket with on a regular basis. After having been to that boys house many many times and after one particularly good game of cricket, I was jubilant. On the way home, I asked my mom in a very matter-of-fact way and with full confidence: “Mom, when I grow up, I’m going to marry Nikhil na?” A highly flustered mom hummed and hawed for a while, gave me a hasty “Let’s see, let’s see, now come on hurry up” and frisked me away.

Circa 2009. Mom sees a gold bracelet she likes and asks me if I’d like something like that for myself. When I politely decline, she goes ahead anyway and says I can have it for my wedding. Ditto for any grossly expensive and blingy jewellery set or sari or pretty much anything she likes and wishes upon me. Now I humm and haw and mutter an infuriated “Be happy if I even get married” under my breath. When my mom starts off about her future son-in-law who she insists must be TamBrahm, Iyer, vegetarian, etc. etc, I give her a “Be happy if I end up with a guy instead of a girl.” That succeeds in ending the discussion right there, thankfully. Ah, how times change.

:D

20 comments:

Nigel said...

Now that's an awesome retort :P

Way to go Divya :)

Spaz Kumari said...

your ending up with a girl does not in any way make the wearing of much jewellery impossible.

If anything, there will be MORE jewellery. :)

Divya said...

@Nigel- My mom might not agree, but thanks anyway :)

@SpazKumari- There's a tiny little possibility you might have missed the point but I'm willing to forgive you for it. My magnanimity amazes even me. Sigh. :P

Arslan said...

LOL! Your mom must miss the old you!

Jil Jil Ramamani said...

Stole my thunder :D :P

Been there, will do that. Sucks. You totally know what I mean.

agent green glass said...

that is why one should ever have kids!

agent green glass said...

oh ho.
that is why one should never have kids.

Bedazzled said...

waat naansanse reply.. aiyooo !! abacharam .. hee hee .. way to go !!

soin said...

vegie tamizh brahm type aa?? ur mom wont get such a guy.. scopey illa..and if your mother becomes the modern understanding amma and starts searching for a girl..apo yena panuveenga apo yena panuveenga..free

St.Banger said...

you stole my dialogue!!! :D

man! you always loved freaking out your folks, didn't you?

Diwakar Sinha said...

hahaha..

Divya said...

@Arslan- I'll bet :P
@JJR- Sucks. Big time.
@AGG- Amen to that. Too bad my mom will vehemently oppose me having this opinion :P
@Bedazzled- Thankoo :P
@Soin- scopey illa.. am counting on that :D
@St. Banger- Change your name change your name change your name change your name. And yes. Too much fun :D
@Diwakar- :D

jimi said...

haha. we all face the same thing don't we.
parents should be banned. tam moms even more so.

Divya said...

Tam moms do take the cake

ramsub said...

My mommy used to talk about south-indian brahm veggie yadda yadda yadda .... she's changed..... and now she herself says that she'd be happy if I ended up with a guy. :P

funnily enough, she was given a reality check by my dad about the entire conditions list.

Divs said...

thankfully mum doesn like bling bling much!

But she does insist tht i do away with the journalist look of kurtis..

@St Banger - dude! change ur name!!!

Divs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SID said...

HAHAH ...EXCELLENTÉ Lil Tam-Bram ...buuttt...wot if ur husband to be ever reads this n gets shcked outta his conservative mind... "how can a womanm blog ?!? ayye yay yo " .... apo yena panuveenga ....

Sorcerer said...

lol!!!
that was awesome writeup!

coolsals said...

hahahahaha....damn gud....so wat makes u think u r still round and naive???....but think abt this divs dear.....i can imagine u as the naive bride of an iyer brahmin boy.....a site to remember.... :P