Home

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Fish of the hip-hop variety

Restless.
Same old routine, same old meals.
Same classes, same people in said annoying classes.

"The time has come", the Walrus said, "to talk of many things".
Talk is all well and good, but nothing's happening wise guy. What good did talking do anyway? It sure has a lot of entertainment value, to say the least (just see my previous post) but what good did it do, really, if nothing happens?

A friend of mine, when she gets into a rut, tends to destroy everything around her. I do the opposite. I go out and do new things with a vengeance. I got my hair streaked. Then I got another ear piercing. Then I got a tattoo. Now I've gotten a new haircut. But that's not enough. Something must be done. Now. Running out of things to do here people. Aarghh.

Anyhoo, vanilla people are the most interesting of the lot because they do things you would never expect them to. The wild lot that goes around acting all cool and supercilious, those are actually the most boring of the lot. They just do the same old things. Or new wild things that arise out of them doing the same old things. Namely pot. I might be a tad biased here. Or not. Will I get angry pothead trolls commenting on this post? Time shall tell.

A couple of friends just spent the last 8 hours tracing the genealogy of the pre Tudors and making an elaborate-as-hell family tree and being very earnest about it. Which is totally great. Another friend gave her impersonation of the family tree enthusiasts by pouring out a stream of words that sounded vaguely like "Oh my god we forgot the first Duke of Nottingham who was also the sixteenth duke of Worcestershire who sired the Duchess who was the sister of the illegitimate whore of Piccadilly!" Which makes it even better, as we all can see.

I wonder why boys are so uptight about homosexuality. I have never met a single guy till date who has been fully comfortable discussing the topic without fidgeting in their seat uncomfortably, proclaiming that it is odd and weird and can-we-change-the-subject-please. By homosexuality, of course, I mean the male sort. The same between girls is of course a fine, elegant and popular topic of discussion. But that apart, more boys than girls=homophobes, why? Does it stem from the simple fact of life that girls are more affectionate than boys and have no qualms going and hugging their female friends whether they are depressed/excited/nervous/overjoyed/high whereas guys prefer the stoic and ultra sophisticated high five/chest bump? Leave a comment, enlighten me. Or alternatively, vent your indignance at above paragraph.

I am currently sitting on the strawberry swing. And imagining Humpty Dumpty doing the same thing. Egg splattered all over the children's park. Oh dear. Thomas Friedman would be having the time of his life. And getting severe cholesterol. Oh dear indeed.

Stream of consciousness petering out into a tiny little pool, filled with tiny fish that protest being subjected to the stereotype of having a bad memory. Also, they are wearing little bling caps. Ooh gangsta fish. Ok then. Ta.

12 comments:

ramsub said...

but you know something, thats exactly who we did forget, the first Duke of Nottingham who was also the sixteenth duke of Worcestershire who sired the Duchess who was the sister of the illegitimate whore of Piccadilly! thats what makes tracing the genealogy so much fun!

anyhoo after that burst of geekiness (if you got it flaunt it!), let me assure you that destroying things is not the opposite of doing things, and if its me you're refering to, I never destroy things when I'm in a rut, but rather when I'm sad and blah!

when I'm in a rut, I tend to run away... out of town or like you said do something.

ramsub said...

meghana and I refuse to be labelled vanilla (we have various professional opinions in support of that), and yet we are not cool and supercilious either (we just spent 8 hours tracing the genealogy of pre tudors and are leaving to do 8 hours more if necessary). I don't think we're terribly boring either, please come up with some better classification.

Ps: Meghana corrected the spellings

Divya said...

@Ramsub- I didn't mean you when I referred to destroying things. When we're sad, we do a whole bunch of crazy things, we've had long discussions about that :P

And ok fine the classification is not holistic and I don't know how I came up with it, but then again, the rest of the post came out that way too. I wasn't even sleepy...

@Meghana- Good job :D

ramsub said...

@ divi, ok maybe we aint cool and supercilous, but apparantly we are self obsessed and think we're the only ones being talked about :P

soin said...

guys dont wana discuss homos?? here i find that girls dont want to..we are fine with discussing it..

another brick in the wall said...

time for a second tattoo?

oh.. and you know we are really not homophobes :P

agent green glass said...

uuum. and wat are you on? i want some.

and homophobic guys. yup. i think they're all just wildly attracted to each other. and try and cover it up by being extremely homophobic.

As the Mind Meanders said...

I just realized that your blog URL reads poignantrose.blogspot.com...

Poignant rose Divya... really... :-D... he he he and now gangsta fish wear bling caps... do they...

evolution...

Hakuna Matata said...

Same comment as on Revelsign's blog, except with a question mark.

#?

Vedang said...

"Will I get angry pothead trolls commenting on this post? "

There are no angry potheads. That's the beauty of pot. :)

Arup said...

Just to address the comment about girls being 'naturally more affectionate'... I think (and this is probably especially true in India) that men who are demonstrative with their affection (touchy-feely) tend to get labeled 'creepy' or something else on those lines. Girls can be affectionate because guys and girls somehow love being at the receiving end of said affection. As a guy I am wary of being too affectionate- in the long run it never goes down well.
And I am not a homophobe... or atleast i don't think I am... who knows what is hidden in the depths of my soul?

Arup said...

what vedang said.