Home

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Feeling Bookish

As I post this, I realise it's been such a long time since I've sat and properly read a book for hours on end like I just did. For someone who used to skip meals on a regular basis so as to continue reading, quite shameful. The internet always beckoned, Gtalk was my guilty pleasure and if nothing else, random browsing and tagline-reading took up most of my time, these past three years. 

For the past week I've switched on my laptop only when I absolutely had to, instead of having it on all the time, running in the background, when a faint ping would send me scurrying back to see who had buzzed me with the new all important piece of trivial gossip or which new (usually) inconsequential person had deigned to ask me "wassup" with my life. Now I am internet free, to some extent. Sure I still google everything around me. I still want to occasionally chat online with my friend in the US and keep in touch. (How else can I ensure he gets me the requisite amount of gifts when he comes back to visit?). I still depend on group emails to inform me there is a test tomorrow and I must stop emulating the great Rip Van Winkle and do something about it. But no more does the little (steadily growing) number in brackets next to the word "Inbox" freak me out. No longer do I have the urge to read taglines, or even have one for that matter. Well not as much. The 5 step program to dealing with your internet addiction continues.

Similarly, I have not been separated from my cell phone for more than 20 minutes since I was 17. Recently, I was forced to go a whole 5 hours without it. LIBERATION. I now know what those anti social philistines keep harping about. No random messages from Reliance informing me I have missed calls and how about I try their super cool money saving offer which was tailor made for me. No one to be accountable to as to where you are and when you're coming back from wherever you are. Having the ability to go out and just get lost when you want to, and stay that way till you feel like having any sort of company again. The bliss, of course, lasts till the time you're forced to get back and having to reply to those 9 messages and 8 missed calls that flooded that darn electronic box when you were away.

This is how Buddha attained enlightenment, aint it? Renouncing material pleasures and all that. And I did it without a big holy tree. I should start a religion. Everyone worships me anyway. ;) Ahem. Alright. Bye then.

19 comments:

ramsub said...

you are blogging about internet de-addiction? haha! also, its an absolute lie that you have gone without the internet, I just pinged you this afternoon about ************* (it's slightly illegal)and you responded with great enthusiasm immediately.

we know!

revelsign said...

slightly illegal? try very illegal.

you lie, you lie, you lie.

liar liar boxers on fire...now you're in a state where you and dibba have something to bond over. =D

indiegurl said...

@divi - i am not a philistine.

@revelsign - my boxers were never on fire.

@ramu - can i be official photographer? pretty please? :)

another brick in the wall said...

hahaha.. and i was labelled as an idiot when i said i'll be off gtalk, eh? :D.. now you know

keep your cell phone off for more than 2-3 days.. trust me, peace! no clients to worry about, no deadlines to care about.. seriously, freedom!

JD said...

internet de-addiction is all fine and swell, but no disrespect can be tolerated against gtalk taglines ... some of us spend most of our crapping time to come up with those. its hard work.

ramsub said...

@ ATBITW, deadlines? clients? huh? what are those? please tell....

@ JD, status message envy, I suffer from it, the most interesting thing I have ever had as my status message is "gone jogging", I came back to find a million (ok only one) messages telling me they detest people who diet and exercise. and it wasn't a message it was a freaking blog post. respect! for those who come with interesting stuff.

another brick in the wall said...

divi.. did you post a comment as ramsub?

Mumbai Diva said...

you're awarded and tagged!! :)

agent green glass said...

aah. you got me thinking. what can we use instead of holy tree. under the holy lamp post? under the holy road sign? under the holy bus stop? aah...the the path to enlightenment just opened up!

ramsub said...

@ ATBITW, nope all me.... still wondering about deadlines ..... I looked up wiki and apparantly it's a popular name for rock, punk bands/movies

JD said...

@ramsub - guess that reveals how carefully others read our status messages. spend so much time to come up with them, and still when you write something like "i'm not here right now" or "gone jogging / fishing / to ask for chhutta from neighbour coz neither me nor the dominos delivery guy has any change", there are still a million (ok, only a few) people who would have pinged you.

ramsub said...

@ JD, I don't know whats cooler, coming up with the perfect sm yourself and not paying any attention to others (what me considerate?)

or having ordinary status messages yourself but having long discussions about others superior status messages.

another brick in the wall said...

ramsub, how much is divi paying you to be her assistant commenter/"comment replier"? i can do with some money myself. i don't know and quite don't care about the reqd qualifications :P

ramsub said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ramsub said...

@ ATBITW, she pays me in love and support. sniff, wipes away tear. The qualifications are boobage, anything over a 36C.

another brick in the wall said...

if only there was money involved, i could've bought some oranges

Hakuna Matata said...

Liar.

I refuse to believe. This post is purely fictitious.

indiegurl said...

@suk - think in terms of watermelons, dear boy.

@sindhu - this post is entirely factual, my cynical friend.

Divya said...

Indiegurl- Muah :D

The rest- Boo :| (Please keep coming back and commenting)But boo anyway :P