Home

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What's in a number...?

Of all the friends I have, quite a few are quite a bit older than I am. Presently, they are 24, 25, 27, 29... You get the picture… I first started interacting with them when I was 16 or so. At that time, these people were in the age group of 21-27 years. What stunned me was that I got along so smashingly with them. I could talk to them freely on subjects ranging from the mundane to the significant; from the general to the personal. And never once did they let the age gap interfere. In the beginning I expected teasing remarks calling me a kid, and the like, since I had seen it so many times with other people. But no, none of that… to my astonishment. Now that I think about it, if I had been in their place, maybe I would not have interacted and connected so much with one so much younger… Perhaps… And nothing can describe how glad I am that this was not the case with them. No talking down to me, no filtering or censoring conversations, no snide remarks. All I ever got was a surprised “Hey, I just realized... you’re the only undergrad friend I have!” from K and a comic “Guess I’m too old for you, huh?” from D.

People were surprised at the number of older friends I had, and continue to be. But I’m glad I have them in my life. I would have missed out on way too much had they ever let the age gap make any sort of difference at all.

So here’s to all the sense, nonsense, inspiration, endless messages, long conversations, “paid-for” lunches, bike rides, career counseling, mental therapy, trips “into orbit”, shopping sprees, tattoo tips, timepass flirting and loads more. Love you guys :)

15 comments:

another brick in the wall said...

what's your real age? i thought u were 34.. that's why i started talking to u in first place! shit! deceipt! :P

Niren said...

nice!
thank ye!
love you too, kid :D

Divya said...

Grrr... ppl are mean...

@Brick.. bacchhe... deceit ka spelling kya hai? It's not like receipt... :P

@Niren- you had to start now, dintcha?

another brick in the wall said...

i didn't know we were playing spelling bee here.. as long as you get the word and the idea is communicated.. the purpose of my comment is achieved :P

SannoySpeaks said...

my my... you must be a grand-daughter to all these people. And that is without any prejudice to how old you really are.
And my my "paid for lunches"... that really struck a chord with me. Lucky girl, or should i take the liberty of saying ... lucky kid!

the hoverer said...

hi, please refer to ur post about absolute age or something like that. Now since everyone has an absolute age, u cant expect people to not interact at all so for all you know age is never a real bar just an illusion that people create when they dont want to interact with other people

kunalk said...

so u r saying that I'm old ..... So being single should hit me even harder eh? But I would love to pick on u as a kid .... Afterall, look at the age difference! Heehaa!

Divya said...

@Sannoy- ...........
@Hoverer- ur referring to a post on Scott Adams' blog.. Ur right I agree, but you have a warped iamge of my mental age altogether
@Kunal- yeesh... Ud love to pick on me as a kid?? Wat does that even mean?

Jeez I really dint think this post would make you'll start now...

another brick in the wall said...

@sannoy: hahahhaha! grand-daughter of course! :D

@hoverer: everything is an illusion :P

raghu said...

hehee.. oldies :P

arrey u know wat.. they prolly see thoda thoda of themselves in you.. dreams and aspirations n blah n blah :P

but i dint get the point of the post only :S

Divya said...

Has to be a point fr everything?
Man u make them sound oooold!!!! Ahh if they start callin me kid and all, serve those uncles right... :P

AB said...

I have my share of older friends too and I love them. Do they pass on nuggets of what they have gone through? Mine do. Not that it ever helps. I still make my mistakes!

Divya said...

Me too. Despite their current unfunny attitude...
Nuggets- check.. mistakes- check :P
I've done loads of things I never would have because of some of them.. :)

raghu said...

arrey dat was the point of my comment.. to make them feel oooold :D

raghu said...

but there has to be some point if i have to disagree na?
hehehe