Home

Friday, May 09, 2008

Older Friend Syndrome

A fight to the death. A grueling experience. Draining all your energy, leaving you wondering why you are being put through this ordeal.

Sounds like I'm being made to make wine out of cotton or something doesn't it? But no... all that i just described, is a simple outing with a friend. 2 separate friends to be precise. Why the ordeal? Because they are always excruciatingly sweet. Believe it.

Both these specimens, Sukrit and Saloni, are both older than me. Both of them are working. And both of them feel that it is their responsibility to make sure that I am well fed and what not. Yes... whenever I meet either of them, they feel it is their duty to pay, for me as well as for themselves.

Me, I am a great believer in the "going dutch" system. Works for everyone. But these two are above all that. Be it an expensive lunch at a good restaurant or a simple packaged juice or the rickshaw fare, I am not to touch my wallet. They are the types to pounce on the bill, leaving me holding my wallet in despair, turning their back on me when i try to pay for myself or pay them back. Why this behaviour? As Sukrit put it, "When you start earning, you can pay." I figured this meant that when I start earning I can treat them. But no... Till I start earning, they pay for me too. Call me stupid, but I fail to see the logic in that. A far cry from all my other friends who jokingly try to make others pay for them... These 2 are like mommy and daddy...

So until I start earning, I am stuck going through a traumatic experience in which I yell, scream and cajole to let me my money. And always, I fail. And till that day, these 2 stubborn people shall triumph.

P.S.- I love you guys
:D

6 comments:

another brick in the wall said...

yo.. i'm keeping accounts of the money.. i'm not sweet, nice etc etc.. after u start earning.. i'm not paying for myself anymore.. aren't u my "elder" sister anyway? :P

SannoySpeaks said...

Deprived. I have no elder pals.

Good Post.

Do i owe u anything?

Divya said...

@ABW- you get to pick when im elder and when im younger, is it? :)

@Sannoy- Its one helluva experience. You should try it. When i come to bombay, 70% of my friends are older, and it sure is fun for more reasons than this post describes. for one you get to tease them about getting married :P

and i think our dues are clear for the present...

Saloni said...

Suffering from older friend syndrome…. U make it sound like a horrible disease …….Traumatic Experience????.......i bet u love every moment of this traumatic experience..........well u look so underfed when u return from Jodhpur......so it comes to ur older friends to take care of u.....ur age friends or younger to u cant take care of themselves ya let alone u (by seeing ur example)......so it becomes our duty to take care of u when u r in town.......and when u start earning ......u can do the same for us......and if not when u r earning......it can be done when we r in our 90's (hahahahaha.......) u will still be younger than us and yet more active to do our work.....also I am keeping tab of the account too.....and whats with teasing us of getting married.....ur time will come sweety and then we will c how u take it?....... but i know u love to c our reaction...........and i am dying to c urs when its ur turn...... love u too.

the hoverer said...

correction these ppl are not going to let u pay even after u start earning only they will give u a fair chance to go dutch and then it'l be the first one hu hits the bill, trust me sweety they are never going to "let u pay"

Divya said...

Grrr :P dont give them ideas ya...