Home

Thursday, July 05, 2007

In memoriam...

This is an ode to my ring... My sole piece of jewelry that I was besotted with at first sight almost 3 years ago... Plain silver thumb-ring with a cross cut into it at each side joined by a thin slit… simple and perfect.. I fell for it.

We led a nice life, me and my ring. It would come off only when I came home from college and be on my thumb again if I had to go out at any time, albeit to buy bread. I tried to treat it the best I could and it sure made me happier than any other ring had. I slipped up numerous times by dropping it in every place imaginable with the theater and the loo as exceptions because then I'm sure I wouldn't have got it back. It would be a common sight to all to see my playing with my tad oversize ring and promptly drop it somewhere or the other and go fumbling for it. And it would be a funny yet expected sight to see me sitting in a moot court watching the judge and have my ring fall to the ground and roll noisily to the counsel's feet, with the whole class staring at it. Everyone I've been with has had to pick it up; friends, strangers, even professors... But it always forgave me. It always came back to me. We would be as we always were, madly in love and wanting to stay that way forever... I remember the numerous times people have mistaken me for a catholic simply because that perennially present ring had 2 crosses on it, I remember playing with it, having others play with it on my finger and off...

And then I noticed it. The slit connecting the crosses went from looking like a simple line drawn in the steel to a slightly open slit. I was worried. I clamped it shut, tried to keep it that way. My ring tried to reassure me that everything would be fine. I believed it. Then it got from bad to worse... The slit widened more and more, more and more often. My ring saw how worried I was and worked hard to get better, just for my sake. But it failed. And then the day came when we both knew it; my ring was never going to recover. The end was near and all we both could do was prolong it for as long as possible by being as careful as we possibly could. And soon one day, the end came suddenly. I was out with a friend with my faithful ring on as always and suddenly, SNAP!!! The top quarter of my ring snapped off abruptly. I was shocked… but I knew the day was coming when this would happen. I put it to rest and mourned for it. I tried to recover by trying to find another just like it, but I couldn't. I realised I had to get over this tragedy the normal way. And I'm trying. It's been almost 2 weeks now and I still miss my ring. I still feel emptiness on my finger where it used to be. I miss playing with it and having people do the same. But I remain hopeful. Somewhere out there is another ring, I know, waiting for me to find it. I shall love again someday, though my first true love shall never be forgotten.

To my dear ring, farewell.
RIP


4 comments:

another brick in the wall said...

oh ho.. sniff sniff.. my heart goes out 2 u.. nahiiiii.. judai judai.. kabhi aaye na judaai :(

raghu said...

aww..ringa ringa roses?

Anamika said...

awwww...

the hoverer said...

gulp.. i am so sorry for u