Home

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Am alone, will talk

New observation, this one. Strictly applicable to flights. Possibly possible in other means of mass transit as well.

I'll elucidate. Today, for the first time I travelled by air alone. And apparently this is the norm. If you're alone and you happen to be sitting adjacent to someone who is also alone, you must strike up a conversation. If luck is on your side, you won't have someone too annoying. I was somewhat lucky in this regard but this conversation with a travelling sales manager from Chennai, and in my opinion, every such conversation, would be along the lines of- "No I'm not working- College- Law- 1st year- Graduation- Jodhpur- Because it happens to be among the top law schools in India- Yes it's a nice city- Yes it can be too hot- Integrated course- Yes lots of tourists- My dad?- Working in Reliance- Oh you know someone else who works on Reliance?- Good for you- Uh huh- Uh huh- Uh huh.... -Divya- Your name- Uh huh- Uh huh" You get what I mean... And this is usually followed by an exchange of business cards (if you have one), only to never see that person again.

So it occurred to me... This could be a forum to explore your other options. Be anyone else... live another life for a short period of time and bask in its glory or its plain hilarity. I imagine the next time I'm in this situation... How will the conversation go?

"Yes I'm working- With ICICI bank- Oh what do I do there?- Telemarketing- Yes it IS boring sometimes but you know those annoying calls you must keep getting about new credit cards?- I call up and say that even if there's no such scheme, just to annoy people" Umm... (Awkward pause I presume: P)

Or...

"Yes I'm working- Assistant manager at a restaurant- Oh I mainly assure that the cooks don't steal any money or spit in the food of customers who annoy them" Ummm...

Or...

"Yes I'm working- I'm the new RJ at Red FM- Chalo because I'm having this pointless chat with you, if you ever call the show, I'll put you on air for sure"

Or...

"No I'm in class 9 actually- Am travelling for this big sudoku tournament- I'm the school champion, participating in a National Competition"

Or anything. Give me any profession and there's something crazy or interesting to say... Chalo I've decided. The next time I fly alone, I'm not gonna be me! And that will call for a similar new post... So till then, adios! I'm off to the set to continue shooting for my 4th TV serial. Yes it starts with K... Tata people: P

6 comments:

SannoySpeaks said...

brilliant...just brilliant... and trust me...u need nt be truthful to do well on these trips...the number of times i have been flying alone these days, i have grown bored of introducing myself as a law school undergrad...so i vary from a lawyer to a professional artist (this one has helped before).
And i have met a motley crowd in return...specially those guys who need to take their ipod ear plugs off to reply...

raghu said...

lol..hehe..lol

Divya said...

Well I was the one to take out my ipod earplugs to reply.. :P

suk said...

haha.. yes yes.. not only flights.. try going on a distant journey by trains/buses wateve.. u tend to meet fantastic ppl :P.. i just rememebered bheja fry! hehe

Anamika said...

Yes, echoing sannoy... Brilliant, simply brilliant.

Karthick GopaL said...

Lol, that was a nice idea. Ill give this a try. Too bad i read this late, would have made a good April Fools Amnesia Day. Who me , who you??