Home

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Kid talk


Yesterday I got into a strange mood which I could only describe as feeling like a pouting kid. Well this didn’t exactly describe it perfectly but it’s as close as I could get.

First off, I think sad kids are very cute. Ok not when I see a screeching little girl but when I imagine a baby with its lower lip out I go all “awww”. But that’s not the point. Kids tend to get sad at anything they think is a big deal. They might lose it over absolutely trivial things. I thought of an example like a little girl, maybe 3 years old, getting royally upset because someone (maybe a mean toddler bro) told her that her lollipop looked stupid. Now this is nothing to get upset about but will not stop a kid from thinking it’s the end of the world. In fact I’ve even read this somewhere, that kids will find trifles the end of the world but might not be perturbed by the important things. Imagine telling the same kid that the Sensex fell by 1000 points. Or that India is having finance problems. She wouldn’t care less because she doesn’t know about that stuff. It doesn’t matter to her. What does matter to her is her lollipop. And hence the fuss and tears till her brother grudgingly admits that her lollipop is not stupid or till she forgets about it and maybe gets a new lollipop.

Kids have their own mentality. I remember myself at the age of maybe 5 or so. I had learnt a new big word and was mighty proud of myself. The word was “universe” which was a big deal then since all the kids were still stuck on cat and mat and the like. We had to make cards in school on that fateful day. In mine I used the word universe somewhere. The teacher read my card along with the rest and kept mum, not noticing much less acknowledging my achievement! I was devastated… I remember feeling so bad… similarly I remember feeling quite high and mighty when after our first lesson on evaporation, I stuck to my belief that water poured on the soil went down and not up as everyone else claimed and I was proved right… (Yay :P)

And so, I state the bare text… Kids get elated at their own little triumphs which seem big in their eyes and unhappy at similar types of defeats and at anything important to them in their own tiny expanding world.

P.S. - Actually that last line applies to everyone. People get emotional viz. happy or sad about anything that concerns them…

P.P.S.- How this exactly explained my mood I’m not sure but once I sat with all this in my head I forgot to pout :)

7 comments:

Divya said...

Oh boy... I'm expecting killer comments from Hoverer and Sannoy...

raghu said...

hahaha.. i love it when kids are happy n all.. smiling smiling..
wat unbelivible observations u have made.. quite extraordinary.

SannoySpeaks said...

Won't kill.. but hey... loved it kid!!!
its not without reason that i call u so..."mamma my laptop keyboard" when i was trying to figure out the accuracy of your memorial on it!!

Divya said...

@Raghu- Who doesnt!? Yes yes thank you thank you (Suk style :P)

@Sannoy- Go for the kill... I'm used to it :) Hehehehe yes uncle...

the hoverer said...

hey nice theory. Cool. 2 things I'd like to say here. Firstly, how does this talk about you or your mood, except for the fact that you are a baby which everyone knows anyway. Secondly, this does not apply for babies alone, in fact even if u told a begger that the sensex has crashed he wont care a damn. this in fact right out of the all power full all pervasive theory of relativity. thats it for now.

another brick in the wall said...

hehe.. oh this is wat the pouting kid is about then.. and wow! so i'm not the only person who calls u a kid it seems :D

on a serious note.. we all are kids within.. we all hav that child in us.. just that some express it while others just hide him.. i try 2 portray it more than often cz i really feel i hav 2 remain a kid.. i wanna be that stupid kid who cries over the fallen lollipop n doesnt really worry bout stupid money.. i wanna be that kid whose destruction ability is limited to tearing of a barbie or throwin a soft ball to hit ur bro.. i wanna stay that kid who only believes in gaining attention n thts the most malicious thot that ever occurs 2 him.. i wanna be the kid that brings a smile 2 everyone's face.. i wanna be that kid who doesnt understnd n least cares bout shit like love n hate or trust n hate.. i wanna be that kid who just cries for a toy, enjoys it on gettin it and then sleeps cozily in his mom's arms.. i wanna be that kid whose innocence is safe n whose thots are not maligned by this dirty world.. i wanna be that kid who doesnt know the word "dirty" or "bad".. i just wish i was that kid.. tc kid :)

Anamika said...

aww toodles.
gee reminds me of this time i got slapped good when i was young by this girl.. i thought i was doomed for life. it was only the beginning though...

(pouting lots)