Home

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Stream of Consciousness

What is consciousness? Being aware, irrespective of the physical aspect; what matters is the mindset. Being aware of yourself, of other people, of thoughts, feelings, emotions. You could be aware in your dreams..

What are dreams? Speculations are abundant about the significance of dreams. People say that dreams could reflect your past- quite possible. Dreams can definitely show you what happened in the past that is playing in some nook or cranny of your mind, whether you realize it or not. Situations can be viewed from an outsider’s perspective, flaws recognized and nagging thoughts put to rest.

It is said that dreams can reflect what you want- definitely. Dreams can mirror your heart’s deepest desire or any whimsical want or need of the hour. They make you aware of this longing, if you did not know of it already, or the extent of it. On waking up you think- “Do I actually want this? Is this what I deserve? How do I go about getting this?” And the journey to achieve it or decision to choose to not achieve it is the result.

Some say that dreams can predict the future. As skeptical as I am about this theory, I have to concede that it just might hold some weight. A bigger cynic than me in the department relating to prediction and astrology is hard to find; me being over practical in such matters, but there just might be more to dreams in that perspective. There have been instances when I am going about my day as I normally do, when I get a start and realize that I have seen this before... this has happened before… I suddenly remember a dream that I had had previously, though insignificant and inconspicuous, that contained the exact sequence of events taking place in front of me.. and when it actually strikes me, it’s like the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle falling into place. However long back that dream came to me, however trivial the details, that sense of déjà vu always awes me and leaves me pensive and thoughtful… How did that happen?

Now déjà vu is something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike inexplicable in my book. The feeling of experiencing the exact situation previously always leaves my mind working overtime, either because of awe, shock, curiosity, or all the above. I’m conscious, and purposely try to be even more so. I think- “How did that thought process get triggered? What was the stream of thought that led to this one?” but more often than not, it remains a mystery, and I let it go until the next time something as surreal happens.

According to me, the power of the mind is unparalleled, since you can control anything with your mind. What you think happens. If you believe in God, you are aware of Him everywhere. You worship, love and fear Him. You venerate his power and look up to him, although there exists no proof of his reality. It’s all in the mind. Faith is a matter of the mind. Religion and God evolved because it prevailed in the minds of men that it was required to have a higher power to look up to and worship. People believing in alternate forms of medicine do so because it cures them, and they get cured because they believe they will. Why else would placebos be so effective? If you think that something is going to cure you, with full belief and conviction, that mindset will ensure that it will probably happen.

The power of the mind is supreme, that great entity that controls everyone and collectively anything. The mind sees what it wants to and interprets it as it feels fit. The fixed norms, standards and beliefs are not to be strictly adhered to.. the mind can stimulate in a person what was previously thought of as impossible to do. All that is required is awareness. If you are aware of yourself and your environment, anything can be done if your mind is strong enough and willing.

Sometimes, however, when you are aware of nothing at all, the thought can strike you, as it does often to me, which always makes me stop in my tracks and ponder.. I am here, I am alive. I am present on this earth along with millions of individuals like myself. I am actually a real entity composed of flesh and bones, going about my daily routine. But what if I’m not? What if the world as I know it is just a manifestation of someone’s dream or overactive imagination and what if that someone were to wake up this instant, causing everything to vanish in a puff of logic? And that further leads me to wonder.. Is this what’s called being truly aware of one’s presence in the world or is one actually ever aware? Is one actually ever really conscious?

13 comments:

~shruti~ said...

u are so friggin right about the deja vu part..it really is true..i mean i experience it myself..!!


(u knw u've written the very same stuff i wrote for my psychology exam this term-dream n consciousness were 2 of the main topics..!)- but in a much better way i assure u...

well written..!! ;D

Anonymous said...

in reference to

"There have been instances when I am going about my day as I normally do, when I get a start and realize that I have seen this before... this has happened before… I suddenly remember a dream that I had had previously, though insignificant and inconspicuous, that contained the exact sequence of events taking place in front of me.. and when it actually strikes me, it’s like the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle falling into place. However ling back that dream came to me, however trivial the details, that sense of déjà vu always awes me and leaves me pensive and thoughtful… How did that happen?"

a glitch in the system...

Divya said...

Wow.. two minutes since I post and I get two comments.. a blogger's dream come true!!!

@Shruti- Thanx!!

@Annon- Hmm.. yes Mr. Anderson..

The Hoverer said...

Mr Anderson my foot this is "The Hoverer" or actually this is Kanishk, a MATRIX freak

The Hoverer said...

MAN THIS IS LIKE STRIGHT OUT OF MY HEAD, the power of the mind, the pit theory (mind sees what it wants to and interprets it as it feels fit),there is nothing you 'have' to do(standards and beliefs are not to be strictly adhered to), the thoughts in you can be altered as per ones will


GOD this is like a post stright out the waves of my head.... only my waves are in my words and are distinct streams of thought....

Random thoughts said...

Divya- Very interesting. The mind has always intrigued thinkers and poets over the ages. In fact the core philosophy of the Buddha can be crystallised into these twin verses:

1. Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think. Suffering follows an evil thought as the wheels of a cart follow the oxen that draw it.

2. Our life is shaped by our mind; we' become what we think. Joy follows a pure thought like a shadow that never leaves.

The poet Milton wondered about mind and matter. After sufficient confusion he concluded:

What is mind-no matter !
What is matter--never mind !!

Anonymous said...

Charaka, one of the Indian scholars who was some founder of ayurveda i guess.. opined that the causes of dreams are 7... they are what you have seen, heard, experienced, wish to experience, forced to experience, imagined and by the inherent nature of the body

some say dreams to be the desires of human body :S

yeah.. it happens to everyone wat u r saying.. like jst a few yrs back whn i detested ash n smokers.. i had dreamt me n ash sitting on my terrace fagging at 12am n i'd thn thot "blah! like ever!".. n jst last yr we were sittin on terrace n smoking n it was 12 am thn.. i was really shocked! :S.. thn 2 yrs back i'd dreamt of strummin wish u were here with a nice black guitr with tannny n we were sittin in frnt of a huge cupboard kinda shit in my room whn i had never evn touched a guitar.. knowing 2 play it was a distant... ahem.. dream.. hated floyd bac thn.. and whn my old pc rested on a nice small table... and jst 4 mnths back..i got a new pc and a guitar n plus dad's brain went crazy n he got a weird cupboard kinda shit 4 ths pc n we were actually strummin wish u were here in frnt of the pc.. so yeah! quite a lotta stuff does coem true yaa.. but thn i wish so many thngs shud never never never come true.. like many times i've dreamt i've left home shirtless n only whn i hit the main road did i realise tht i was half unclad :P.. now such kinda dreams really freak me out :D

Anonymous said...

good post

Anonymous said...

Nice :) Liked this post!
Deja vu, u won't believe, had it many times...the situation, the outcome... Now everymorn, i get up and devote 10mins recollecting what I dreamt... LOL!
GOD: Being brought up in a religious / orthodox family, I believe... cos I have had experiences, well, tats a personal choice!!!
positive energy, aura - will probably refer to ur post when I write on them!
and lastly, for the world being someonez dream...u shd narrate a new story to Wachowski brothers... who knows, u mite become richhh! LOL again...
cheers!

mandork said...

@Sun4none

Dude! i had the exact same dream few days back.....yea well, a bit different....i wasn't wearing ma pajamas wen i went jogging in my dream.....
damn! does this mean we are telepathically connected???
your comments miss poig-wateva-the-rest-of-the-name-is....

Divya said...

@Mandork- That is something noone would like to be conscious for.. physically or mentally.. so wake up!!!
:D

Adhirath said...

hey divi!..excellent piece..thoughtful yet comprehendible (thts smthng new frm u)!..and tell ya what im sure every1 will agree to me whn i say so, uve written what every person has thot of at one point or the other in his or her life!!..i mean it really does make a lot of sense..personally am a very strong believer of the supreme power of the mind( i think u might have guessed that about me by now..or maybe!!@@)kher, the point is yah, the mind is just inexpicable and i think ull understand when i say this-" too complex to figure out and too simple to even try!!" (well well, now where did we hear that!!)..beautifully written!!

Divya said...

Hehehe you dope.. Thoughtful toh I always am and I can be explicitly comprehendible when I choose to be ok!
Awww.. Now where HAVE we heard that before...?? Lol that was fantastic... Thank you!