Home

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Time..


Time is such a strange quantity… It’s so relative to everything and everyone…

I recently tried reading Stephen Hawking’s ‘A Brief History of Time’, and though I was making good progress, I had to put it on hold as I’ve had so much to do.. In it, time is described as such a physical, mathematical entity.. not all that appealing, is it? Time, to us, is in the mind- determined by how we do what we do.

I seem to have developed quite a warped sense of time recently. My mind zooms back and forth between the past and the present at an inconceivable speed, startling even to me. It seems like just a couple of days ago when I was attending my first day of Junior College, though it was actually two years ago. Alternatively, my school days seem eons in the past, though it was just three years ago when I last attended school.

Now that summer is here again and it's too hot, I was amazed to realize that a whole year had passed since I started talking cold showers in the morning instead of hot ones. Was it really a year ago? Sure doesn’t seem like it… I hear silly trivial things on TV such as Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes having a baby and I think- Didn’t they just start going out?

A year has lost its meaning- it can feel as long as a decade, as it did when I was 14 (don’t know why), or just about as long as a couple of months. Each passing year, those 365 days seem to shrink more and more like time is speeding up, unnoticed by us…

On another note, looking at the future, it seems like the 13 years which are to go to reach 30 years of age is no time at all.. will be over in a snap. Then again, sometimes I feel like the mere 7 months to go for my 18th birthday is stretching too much.

Time is so bizarre… and, nowadays at least, I absolutely cannot keep track of it. Clocks and calendars have become erratic, time flies (or drags), seasons change, and, intentionally or not, so do we; in ways we never thought we would, or even could.

"Funny thing that time: we’re always running out…

...The days become the years, that'll be gone before you know..."


4 comments:

raghu said...

i luved dis 1...dam koool...da only thing u ,i n a boy on the street will surely hav in common is dat v all hav 24hrs in day...time is invaluable..time isnt money..time is the most wonderful quantity... n Einstein gav it a compeltely different meanin he says v all carry along wid us our own time... contrary 2 wat i thot v all hav 24hrs... i was confused until i read breif history of time..time is amazin n worth investin our time in!!
lol.......nw im not gonna waste more time.....heehe
btw i guess i talk a lot...

Kunal said...

Ironically, have you realized how slowly the future comes along...... past appears to be recent and we conclude that time flies by but then why doesn't the future come at the same speed? Is it a universal anomaly or our misunderstanding of time-speed phenomena(if there is such a thing).....

Divya said...

Kunal, i don't think it's because of our misunderstanding of time-speed because we don't really think in that language! The future doesn't creep up on us, or the past fly by because of relativity or the like.. I don't know.. just depends upon our individual perception I guess.. The past year flew by for me but won't have for everyone, right?

sun4none said...

time is gone.. song is over.. thought i'd something more to say.. good one divs!